This is the Brolga Gate which stands at the entrance to the bird sanctuary in the centre of Centennial Park. It has stood in the park for almost 80 years since the bird sanctuary was opened in 1939.
It was erected by the Gould League of Bird lovers in memory of their long time secretary Mr Harold W. Hamilton. He was secretary for 17 years before passing away in 1933.
The Gould league was “set up to prevent bird egg collecting and to educate for the protection of Australian birds” which makes it a fitting gate for the popular Centennial Park bird sanctuary.
This beautiful little gate is easily missed but has a significant past, particularly for the many bird lovers that enjoy the park.