This is another one of Sydney’s Art Deco cinemas built in the 30s similar to the Ritz from an earlier post. This is the Valhalla located in Glebe. The Valhalla opened as a cinema late in 1937 under the name as the “Astor”. It opened with a seating capacity of 992.
It served as one of many suburban cinemas at the time and operated until 1959 when it had it’s first closure which could be blamed on the introduction of television. It reopened in 1968 and operated until 2005 under various names such as the Filmor Red Star Cinema, the New Arts Cinema and the Curzon Cinema. It finally became known as the Valhalla in 1979.
Over the years it became known as a specialist in cult or independent films as well as a number of live shows. This includes the first Australian production of the “Rocky Horror Show” in the 70s. Other live shows included “Oh Calcutta”, which was controversially banned for a time and performers arrested, as well as an all male drag performance of “Cycle Sluts”.
In 1994 the Valhalla was twinned (or divided into 2 cinemas). It was also a film projection school from the 60s until 2005 when it closed. It was sadly gutted and became offices later in 2008.
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/65830/WalkTourPreservation.pdf, retrieved 18 July 2015
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=2427824, retrieved 18 July 2015
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/25662, retrieved 18 July 2015
Stories you may also like